Equip a terrarium with accessories
Discreet mounting of misting nozzles, heat lamp and lighting
Online since: 15/02/2010, Number of visits: 58815
Terrariums are generally available with one of three lid/roof versions. All have their disadvantages:
- Screen lid: too much heat and moisture escapes
- Wooden lid: bulky and blocks the view
- Glass roof: lamps and other electrical accessories can usually only be attached using frame construction or permanent bonding
My solution for a terrarium with a glass roof: a combination of magnetic hooks and disc magnets through the 5 mm thick glass lid. The accessories can be easily attached to the hooks. Sliding the magnet on the outside allows for the accessories to be repositioned without startling the terrarium dwellers.
However, there is a risk that the glass pane will be scratched by the hard nickel coating of the magnets. The solution for a dry environment are sticky notes, which are attached with the adhesive side to the magnets on the inside and on the outside.
For a humid environment, you could cut discs from 200 to 300 µm thin transparent sheets, such as cover sheets for binder systems, for example.
The advantages of my application:
- Permanent glue bonding, discolouring double-sided tape or less attractive plastic holders are no longer necessary.
- The accessories (misting nozzle, light and heat lamp) can be repositioned in the terrarium with little effort.